Thursday, May 27, 2010

And so it begins

I'm about to start the best job ever for the fourth summer in a row. But this year is a little different. Actually, it's a lot different. I am pretty much in charge now. Nadeine is still the big boss, but as far as the mission house and the missionaries go, the responsibility is on me.

Overwhelming? A little.
Afraid? Slightly.
Confident? 110%

Here's a little back ground on what goes on during the summer here in Branson, MO.
Groups from all over the US come here to Branson for a week during the summer to participate in service through day camps and Bible clubs at resorts, Vacation Bible Schools at local churches, and various clean up and construction projects. They get the connection through Nadeine and the Tri County Baptist Association. The association also hires four college-age summer missionaries to serve for ten weeks and facilitate what the groups do in the Branson area. It is a wonderful experience for the missionary and the mission team as they serve along side each other. The missionary is also thrust into roles that will stretch them and hopefully help them grow in their walk with Christ. Many vacationers come to Branson for fun and relaxation but may not realize that this might be their appointed time to hear the good news of Jesus. We love living what we believe and our goal is to reach people with the Gospel as well as come away from the summer with a stronger urge to share our faith.

So that's what I have been doing up here the past four summers for those of you who thought I went on vacation. I absolutely love what I do and feel so blessed to have been able to serve for four consecutive years. What makes this year different for me is a whole new list of responsibilities. I will not be assigned to a particular mission team each week. Instead, I get to be partially in charge of all the groups every week! This means that making sure the missionaries are all on task is my responsibility as well. Paying the meals, paying the show tickets, backing up my missionaries, keeping things sane (and safe), helping with needs of the mission team, getting the mail, and any other logistical thing you can think of is what I get to take care of. This is not a complaint by any means. I am excited beyond comprehension at what I get to do this summer!!! Being able to serve in this capacity just overwhelms me with joy. Service is probably my greatest spiritual gift and I love to use it abundantly. I will also be tested in assertiveness and patience as I deal with issues that arise. It's a bit intimidating, but nothing I can't handle with the Lord by my side.

The missionaries get here this weekend and I'm super stoked!!! I have met all of them and they are all excellent young people with a passion to serve the Lord. I ask that you pray for them as they attempt to put up with me over the summer. Just kidding haha. We'll all do fine. Nadeine trusts and respects all of us and I feel that we won't lose that. This is going to be a life changing summer for all of us! I'll try and keep this updated rather often to let everyone know how it's going and how you can pray for us. We're open til midnight or later all summer long!

Pray for Krystyna, Lauren, Steve O, Nadeine and me as we begin our summer with three busy weeks at training, kids camp, and super summer.

Also pray that we will all get along and issues will be at a minimum and resolved quickly

Pray for our mission teams as they prepare to come, that they will be in the right mind-set and have everything ready to effectively minister to those around them

Pray for our house parents as they get ready to take a week out of their summer to come live with us and cook for us. We are SUPER grateful for them

Pray for Branson and all its vacationers that they will be safe and open to the message of Jesus.

Pray for me that the Lord will give me patience, strength, and wisdom as I take on a new leadership role this summer.

Thanks for reading! Keep it real, yo.
Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment